Apply for the Luxembourgish Young Graduate Trainee Program (LuxYGT)
Applications for the Luxembourgish Young Graduate Trainee (LuxYGT) Program by the European Space Agency (ESA) are open until 25 June 2019.
The Luxembourg Space Agency and the European Space Agency (ESA) have signed a specific agreement with the purpose of developing professional skills in the space industry. The agreement enables young Luxembourgian graduates to gain initial work experience in various specific sectors related to the aerospace industry.
ESA offers a choice of 18 different internship positions to Luxembourgish students.
The details of the internship offers are listed under "more information" at the bottom of this page.
The high-calibre programme lasts for one year, with option for a second year, and gives successful applicants an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the development and operation of space missions. YGT’s gain valuable experience that can qualify them for the many opportunities within Europe’s space industry, renowned research institutes and, of course, ESA. This, in addition to the rich personal experience of living and working in another country and in a diverse and international environment, makes the LuxYGT programme very popular.
ESA has centers that each have well-defined responsibilities in different European countries. Currently, the positions opened under the LuxYGT program are:
- ESRIN (European Space Research Institute), located in Frascati, Italy;
- ESTEC (European Space Research and Technology Center), based in Noordwijk, the Netherlands;
- ESAC (European Space Astronomy Centre), located on the outskirts of Madrid, Spain
- ESOC (European Space Operations Center), located in Darmstadt, Germany.
Candidates interested in this professional experience are invited to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before 25 June 2019.
Terms of Participation
The LuxYGT program was created for graduates who are Luxembourg nationals and who earned their degree (Master level; Bachelor level) within the past two years.
Students in the last year of their Master’s program can also apply to the program, and may be selected subject to the condition that they have obtained the required qualification by the date they sign the contract.
The selected candidates will have the opportunity to hold these positions over a 12-month period, with the option of having their contract renewed for an additional 12 months.
The contract will be entered into between ESA and the intern for the duration of the internship. Interns who sign the contract commit to completing their internship without interruption and on an ongoing basis.
Rather than being employed by ESA, interns will complete their internship and perform any other duties assigned to them within the ESA organisation. They will fall under the direct authority of the Director General of the ESA or his representative.
Interns will be subject to the employment regulations applicable at the ESA.
Candidates will be entitled to the following benefits:
- Monthly compensation of approximately EUR 2,400, exempt from taxes (including accident and sickness insurance)
- Reimbursement of travel expenses during the intern’s employment and on termination of their contract (based on return journey)
- Reimbursement of relocation expenses when first settling in the new location in the amount of EUR 2,400 (fixed amount), payable as a lump sum
- Paid annual leave (2.5 working days for each month of service)
Candidate Application Process
Candidates must submit an application to email@example.com containing the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Copy of degree/diploma earned
- Applicants who are currently in their final year of study must submit proof of enrolment in the educational institution they are attending.
- Copy of an ID
Any other documents which could support the candidate’s application may also be added to the application package.
English and French are the working languages at the various ESA centres. Knowledge of other languages is considered an advantage.
Candidates are free to apply for multiple internship placements.
Applications are open until 25 June 2019.
For any additional information about the positions and the admission requirements for the programme, please contact:
Luxembourg Space Agency
Senior Policy Officer
19-21, boulevard Royal
Tel. (+352) 2884 8223