The Luxembourg Space Agency actively supports students in the transition from education to full-time employment in the space industry with a dedicated training programme.
Luxembourg Young Graduate Trainee programme
Each year, the Luxembourg Young Graduate Trainee (LuxYGT) programme offers a wide range of internships at the European Space Agency for Luxembourg students. The internships take place at different ESA centers, offering successful applicants an opportunity to obtain valuable experience in the development and operation of space missions. In addition, they also gain a rich personal experience of living and working in another country and in a diverse and international environment.
The internship opportunities cover a variety of fields of activity including for example:
- Computer science;
- Robotics, mechatronics, electronic, mechanical, aerospace engineering
- Science, physics and mathematics.
NEW CALL FOR APPLICATIONS WILL BE LAUNCHED IN SUMMER 2023
Terms of Participation
The LuxYGT programme was created for graduates who are :
- Luxembourg nationals or have a nationality from one of the ESA member or cooperating states with a permanent residency in Luxembourg.
- Earned their degree (Master level) within the past two years.
Students in the last year of their Master’s programme can also apply to the programme, and may be selected subject to the condition that they have obtained the required qualification by the date they start the traineeship at ESA.
Duration: the high-caliber programme usually lasts for 2 years (the appointment letter is renewed after the first year, based on satisfactory evaluation by ESA).
At the end of first year and the end of the traineeship period, trainees are asked to submit to LSA and ESA a report on their activities and the accomplishments achieved during the traineeship.
The LuxYGT appointment is between ESA and the intern for the duration of the internship. Interns who sign the contract commit to completing their internship without interruption and on an ongoing basis.
Interns will not have the status of ESA staff member, but the internship will be completed within the ESA organisation and interns will fall under the direct authority of the Director General of ESA or his representative.
Interns will be subject to the rules applicable to "Traineeships for Luxembourg Young Engineering/Science Graduates".
- Valuable experience that can open doors to a career within the Luxembourg’s space sector, research institutes or ESA
- A diverse and international environment
- Monthly allowance of EUR 2,400, exempt from taxes (including accident and sickness insurance)
- Reimbursement of relocation expenses when first settling in the new location (fixed amount), payable as a lump sum
- Paid annual leave (2.5 working days for each month of service)
Candidate Application Process
Once a year, a list of internship offers is published on the LSA website and potential candidates have the possibility to answer a call for applications.- A new call will be launched in the summer of 2023.
They must submit an application to luxygt(at)space-agency.lu containing the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Copy of degree/diploma earned
- Applicants who are currently in their final year of study must submit proof of enrolment in the educational institution they are attending.
- Copy of an ID and if not a Luxembourg national, also a certificate of residence
- Any other documents which could support the candidate’s application may also be added to the application
- Maximum two applications per candidate
- Fluency in English and/or French, the working languages of the Agency
If your application is shortlisted, you will be invited to an interview with LSA and ESA representatives.
Recruitment interviews will take place from mid-August to mid-September.
The relevant ESA department is also involved in the decision process.
The take-up-duty date is agreed mutually by the candidate and the tutor either on 1st November 2022 or 1st February 2023.