The Luxembourg Space Agency actively supports students in the transition from education to full-time employment in the space industry with a dedicated training programme.
Luxembourg Young Graduate Trainee programme
Each year, the Luxembourg Young Graduate Trainee (LuxYGT) programme offers a wide range of internships at the European Space Agency for Luxembourg students. The internships take place at different ESA centers, offering successful applicants an opportunity to obtain valuable experience in the development and operation of space missions. In addition, they also gain a rich personal experience of living and working in another country and in a diverse and international environment.
The internship opportunities cover a variety of fields of activity including for example:
- Robotics, mechatronics, electronic, mechanical, aerospace engineering
- Computer science
- Science, physics, and mathematics
- Commercialisation and economics
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN! CLOSING DATE IS 21st OF AUGUST 2023
Internship offers for 2023
- LU-2023-CIC-IP / Space Economy
- LU-2023-CSC-PM / Cyber Security Engineering
- LU-2023-CSC-SM / Socio Economic Impact Analyst
- LU-2023-DG-5F / Strategic Foresight & Planning
- LU-2023-ELI-A / Strategic Evolution Policy
- LU-2023-EOP-PES / Earth Observation Mission Analysis
- LU-2023-EOP-S8E / Data Science in Innovative Visualisation of Earth Observation (EO) and Digital Twin Earth (DTE)
- LU-2023-HRE-ESM / Artemis Orion European Service Module (ESM) Project
- LU-2023-OPS-G / Next Generation Ground Segment for New Space Economy
- LU-2023-OPS-GF / Flight Dynamics Division Support
- LU-2023-OPS-SC / Space Safety – Clean Space
- LU-2023-TEC-EDM / Space Microelectronics Engineering
- LU-2023-TEC-EFA / Antenna Analysis and Design
- LU-2023-TEC-MMA / Space Automation & Robotics
- LU-2023-TEC-MMG / In-Situ Resource Processes (ISRP)
- LU-2023-TEC-MPC / Propulsion Engineering
- LU-2023-TEC-MSP / Advanced Materials and Process Engineering
- LU-2023-TEC-MTT / Thermal Control Engineering
- LU-2023-TEC-SAS / Sensors Engineering: GNC, AOCS & Pointing
- LU-2023-TEC-SYE / Systems Engineering and Concurrent Space Mission Design
Terms of Participation
The LuxYGT programme was created for graduates who are :
- Luxembourg nationals or permanent residence in Luxembourg with a nationality from one of the ESA member or cooperating states
- Earned their degree (Master level) within the past two years.
- Students in the last year of their master’s program can also apply, under the condition that they have obtained their master's degree by the date they start the traineeship at ESA
The high-caliber programme usually lasts for 2 years (the appointment letter is renewed after the first year, based on satisfactory evaluation by ESA and LSA).
At the end of first year and the end of the traineeship period, trainees are asked to submit to LSA and ESA a report on their activities and the accomplishments achieved during the traineeship.
Candidate Application Process
You can apply up to two topics of above-mentioned opportunities.
Send your application to luxygt(at)space-agency.lu containing the following documents:
- Cover letter (one for each of the two opportunities chosen)
- Copy of degree/diploma earned
- Applicants who are currently in their final year of study must submit proof of enrolment which shows that they are in their final year
- Copy of ID
- If not a Luxembourg national, a certificate of residence
- Any other documents which could support the candidate’s application
If your application is shortlisted, you will be invited to an interview with LSA and ESA representatives. In a second step, the relevant ESA department will also be involved in the decision process.
The successful candidates receive their appointment letter at a kick-off event which is organized before the start of the take-up duty date.
The take-up-duty date is agreed mutually by the candidate and the tutor and can start between November this year and March next year.
The selected LuxYGT candidates receive an appointment letter by ESA, for the duration of the internship. Candidates who sign the contract commit to completing their internship without interruption and on an ongoing basis. Candidates will not have the status of ESA staff member, but the internship will be completed within the ESA organization and will fall under the direct authority of the Director General of ESA or his representative.
- Valuable experience that can open doors to a career within the Luxembourg’s space sector, research institutes or ESA
- A diverse and international environment
- Monthly allowance of EUR 2,800, exempt from taxes (including accident and sickness insurance)
- Reimbursement of relocation expenses when first settling in the new location, payable as a lump sum after take-up of duty
- Paid annual leave (2.5 working days for each month of service)
When applying for the call, you agree to have your personal data collected by the Luxembourg Space Agency Foundation in order to process the received candidatures, check the eligibility criteria, and do the selection of the candidates suited for the LuxYGT call. The data collected will not be published and will only be for internal use. It will not be used in any other initiative from LSA and be removed after the final candidates have been selected.
If you wish to limit the processing or delete your data, you may do so by sending an e-mail to email@example.com . The consent given when applying for the call, and the processing of personal data can be revoked at any time. To exercise your rights of access, rectification, opposition, erasure, limitation, and portability, please express your will by sending a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.